Trong loạt bài giới thiệu về chủ đề Our relationship with nature (Mối quan hệ của con người với tự nhiên) trên hệ thống Timeline Learning, Ce Phan đã gửi đến các bạn các bài học từ căn bản đến nâng cao bao gồm cả: từ vựng,cụm từ thông dụng, các bài nghe, nói, đọc và viết. Bài học này sẽ là một phần bổ sung để hoàn thành chủ đề với bài viết mô tả biểu đồ Pie Chat kết hợp với các biểu đồ Bar Chart và Line Chart.
Writing task 1: Pie Chart & Bar Chart
1. Complete he sentences below with the words/phrases in the box so that they offer good advice for students doing Writing Task 1.
20 minutes comparising diagram figures grammar and spelling key overview paragraphs task words
1. Aim to write your answer in 20 minutes.
2. Study the graph, chart or ................. carefully first.
3. Use your own words rather than copying words from the .............
4. Make sure you have included all the ...................... points
5. Always use ............... to organise your points.
6. Make sure any .................. you quote are accurate.
7. Make ............... if they are appropriate and relevant.
8. Always include a clear ...................
9. Leave time to check your .................
10. Don't lose unnecessary marks by writing too few .................
2. Look at the Writing task in the next column and answer these questions.
1. How are the two charts linked? How do the charts differ overall?
2. What are the key features of the charts?
3. Which categories on each chart could you combine? (You cannot mention every catergory.)
4. How many papragrpahs would you write, and what would you include in each one?
5. What would your overview contain?
3. Read this sample answer. Divide it into paragrphs and insert th six missing commas.
The chart provide information on the proportion of plant species that are at risk, the levels of risk, and the different environments in which these plants grow. Althogh a lot of plants are safe about a third of all plant species around the world are under some kind of threat. For just over 10 percent of these species, the threat is serve, with 3.92 percent of plants likely to become extinct and over 25 percent being vulnerable to extinction. When you look at plant habitats the area with the greatest proportion of threatened species is tropical rainforest where 63 percent of species are threaten. In contrast desert areas have the lowest porportion of vulnerable plants at 0.5 percent. Forest grassland and wetland areas are also home to threatened species. However the danger is on a much smaller scale than in the tropics, with figures ranging between 12 and one percent. To conclude tropical areas of the world have more endangered plant species than others, and certain plants need immediate protection.
The chart below give information about endangered plants around the world.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main feature, and make comparisons where relevant.
Writing task 1: Pie Chart & Line Chart
4. Study these two extracts, then rewrite the sentences below using with to add suporting information to the opening statement.
a) For just over 10 percent of these species, the threat is serve, with 3,92 percent of plants likely to become extinct ...
b) However, the danger is on a much smaller scale than in the tropics, with figures ranging between 12 and one percent.
1. The pollution levels will peck in 2015, and figures will reach 22 parts per million.
2. The figures increased fourfold in 2008, and costs went up from $200 to $800.
3. Bird-watching grew in popularity that year, and teenage groups became more involved in the hobby than any other group.
4. Cheetah populations are under threat, and numbers are predicted to continue to fall steadily in the future.
5. There were numerous complaints about the bulding project in 2006, and the highest number was recorded in September.
6. Extensive grazing is most marked in Europe, and 9.7 percent of land was over-used.
5. When doing IELTS tasks, it is important to use your words as far as possible and not repeat words from the task. Find the following in the sample answer.
1. two phrases that mean 'endangered'
2. an adjective that means 'critical'
3. a word that has been used to replace 'habitats'
4. a phrase that means 'the replace where something lives'
5. a phrase that means 'a lot lower'.
7. Look at this writing task and discuss how you would organise and answer into paragraphs, and what you would include in each one.
Nguồn: Complete IELTS (band 6.5-7.5)
Biên soạn: Ce Phan